4.23.2010

We all "Needtobreathe"

After last night's show, I'm convinced. Heaven will be a rock concert. A cabaret of every genre: there will be show tunes, gospel, rock 'n' roll, classical, bluegrass, hymns, Latino, blues, reggae--and Jesus will be lead guitar and vocals. And you and me? We'll be back up dancers. We'll sing harmony. We'll play bass, piano, and maybe even the sousaphone, I'm sure. Tambourines and tympani--it will be a holy, eternal moment in what used to be time.

We went to see Needtobreathe at the Cat's Cradle last night in Chapel Hill. I will tell you, I'm usually not the first one to say, "Oh, hey! Let's go see the __________ at the ________ tomorrow night!" But if I go when someone else has invited me, I always have a great time. And last night was a testimony to that, for sure. Andrew bought tickets online and informed me on Tuesday that we were going. No argument here, but no giddy excitement either. Much to my surprise, however, the Cat's Cradle was SOLD OUT and Needtobreathe put on a stellar show--I kind of want to do it again tonight! They played some oldies and some new songs from their album The Outsiders and the crowd went nuts! The only thing that would have made it better would have been if we were in Clemson with our Tiger family instead of a sea of Tar Heel strangers. I kind of wanted to yell, "1-2-3-4 and cadence count!", in sheer defiance. Andrew sweetly and probably wisely discouraged my almost-outburst. Harrumph.

It was during Something Beautiful that I put my eye up to the keyhole of heaven and saw a glimpse of eternity: the crowd was worshipping--it wasn't just a fun song to sing, it was a heart's cry to be in the presence of Beauty itself--Himself. And it was awesome. Truly.

Hey now, this is my desire
Consume me with your fire, 'cause I just want something beautiful
To touch me, I know that I'm in reach
'Cause I am down on my knees
I'm waiting for something beautiful
Oh, something beautiful




And just so you know, I would see Needtobreathe 10 times again before I would see John Mayer again. Belie'e dat!

No comments:

Post a Comment