12.21.2010

and wonders of His love

I think. Honestly, I do. That the thing I love about Christmas, the thing that makes me cry when we sing old fashioned Christmas hymns in church with lyrics so precise, the thing that makes me read and reread the account of Jesus' birth in Luke to seek and search any small clue is this:

if God. If God can be born to an obscure unmarried teenager and her anxious fiance in a crude, cold, clammy, stinky stable. If God can boldly step in to this furious fray. Step up to humanity's plate. Step out of heaven. If God can intervene. Interject. Interpose His precious blood.

Then He really must so love the world.

I can't help but marvel at His creativity. A baby. Of all things. To come as a baby instead of an apparition or a booming thunderhead or a beaming parting of the clouds. It's shocking, if you really think on it.

There cannot be an Easter Jesus without a Christmas Jesus. And Christmas Jesus came with the intent to be Easter Jesus.

Repeat,
repeat the sounding joy!

2 comments:

  1. You nailed it, MG. You have defined the core emotion of the season and given me an explanation for the wonder, the joy, and the spiritual texture of this amazing season. Thank you, bless you, and have a Blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly the message at City Church in Charleston on Christmas Eve. Almost as if you were there...but I know you weren't. Hugs.....

    ReplyDelete