9.29.2009

Mazal tov!

Forgive me; it has been several days since my last post. Many, many moons. Where to begin?? Let's see. Between then and now, the only happenings have been dinner with friends, a Nike running shoe hunt, and a couple of lost football games. That, and a soggy camping trip to Cataloochie. Oh, and a few Super Target trips, one involving copious amounts of tropical flavored Jelly Belly jelly beans. Mmmm. Guilty pleasure.

Other than that, I'm gearing up for Christmas. You chuckle, but I am so. completely. serious. I'm trying to be patient, though, and enjoy the delights of fall first. I even promised myself I wouldn't buy a pumpkin until October. One more day to go! I've wondered at the glossy pages in Martha's October issue of Martha Stewart Living, wishing for the luxury of a pumpkin patch in our little side yard. I've perused the shelves at Target and Homegoods and even surfed the net on Pottery Barn looking at vine wreathes and faux garlands, all trimmed with fall trappings. I've haggled over prices, inquiring "can I find it cheaper??" I've contemplated setting out with my utility scissors to hack away at the perfectly landscaped bushes around our apartment complex, trying to create depth, texture, color with the different branches of trees that have already started to turn. I did cave and buy a candle. So shoot me, it's a candle. It's called ambiance, people!

Andrew and I are also trying to figure out what we're going to be for Halloween. (Provided we have somewhere to go...heck, we might get dressed up and then watch a movie. Ha!) We've thought about being a Bride and Groom (hey, I get to wear my dress again), Mother Nature and Father Time, Pilgrim and a Native American (you like that PC lingo?), orrr maybe we will be a nurse and a water filtrationist. Gotcha! ;) We're still brainstorming. It will come together. It always does.

Last night Joanna and Graham came over and Joanna and I stuffed, stamped and addressed the remaining invitations for their November wedding. I've realized that now that I'm on the other side of my own wedding, and knowing all of the excitement, anxiety, joy, frustration, delight--it's just icing on the cake to help other people do things for their own weddings! And I love icing!

Among other things, I'm going to Clemson to rendezvous with Jennigray, Kelly and Lauren, and of course my Tea Time girls. My excitement level is such that I'm having trouble deciding what to wear. Out of control. As previously discussed, we will most definitely lie on the floor and giggle for at least the first three hours, and not a minute less. The times they are a-changin'.

In my recipe box I've stacked a few freshly torn pages from magazines, one with creamy pumpkin soup, another with apple honey challah bread. I can't wait to try both of them. The soup, however, calls for real pumpkin. The only things I've ever done with a pumpkin involve putting a face on it's front and a candle in it's belly, or baking the seeds to a salty, delicious preschool snack (yep, I'm talkin' pre-K). This says to actually cook the real, live pumpkin and then make it into a soup. It sounds good. It looks good. I'm willing to give it a try. Here's hoping: L'chaim! The challah isn't as much of a mystery, but it does call for three separate rising periods, i.e. an entire day devoted to one loaf. I'm definitely going to tackle this one--just don't call me Yente.

Andrew's working on a lab report involving honeycomb shapes and arrows and subscripts and I'm reporting live from the couch next to him. It's times like these that it helps to remember: there have always been times like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment