9.10.2009

Peanuts from the gallery

When one begins a blog post, it's usually because they have something to say. I'm not sure what I have to say, so I'll let my fingertips do the talking.

My parents came up on Friday to enjoy a weekend away--the weather held up and their "guest suite" had more square footage than our apartment, so I'd say they were pretty comfortable. Mom brought me a Pathos plant, aka "Devil's Ivy", a lovely, draping green and yellow leafed climber. We had a night in on Friday, hanging out, eating supper, drinking wine, and generally catching up and enjoying one another's company. Saturday was a "step up and swing" day--we went to the Duke gardens and wandered around the foliage like characters in a Shakespearean play, lunched at Milltown--an amazing hole in the wall in Carrboro--and poked around Carrboro a little bit before heading home to try and catch the opening games of college football season. Might I add, Go Tigers!

Sunday we went to our church, Catch the Fire Raleigh, the first US church plant of the Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship by Duncan and Kate Smith. I can give the Lord praise for leading us there--we almost didn't make it, in fact the first Sunday we went we actually had the wrong address, but we made it nonetheless, with a little help from Mama on the internet. We snuck in late to find the entire Shuttleworth family peppered across the congregation. That was the Lord's first big "I love you, MG", and I spent practically the entire service boohooing. Our prayer in finding a church family like CTF was what we thought slim to none, but we found it the second weekend we were here. Hm. More like it found us. It is a people that is overtly passionate about the Truth of Jesus Christ and him crucified, the omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent love of the Father, and the ministering of the presence and the power of the Holy Spirit--and the inherent veracity and authority of Scripture. It is a place where we are made uncomfortable with the status quo. It is an environment in which we feel we will be challenged and grow in the knowledge and love of the Lord. Shoot, we already are being challenged!

Monday was Labor Day, a holiday started by Canadian unions and gleefully enjoyed by Americans, and I woke up to Andrew cooking us a delightful breakfast of waffles and turkey sausage. What a phenomenal husband I have.

Last night I watched the President's healthcare address to the Congress and to the nation--a speech marked by bipartisan efforts as well as polarizing statements. I think it's a good start, but there's still a lot of work to be done. And that's all I have to say about that.

This weekend, we're headed to Charleston for Angela's wedding and so see the fam, and hopefully we'll make it back here in time for our leadership class at CTF on Sunday morning. Tonight the Tigers play Georgia Tech, there's another episode of Project Runway, and we're getting Pretty in Pink from Netflix. What to do, what to do.

In a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment