9.03.2009

The countenance of the body of Christ

...is lovely. and familiar. and sweet to look upon. In the last weeks, the Lord has repeatedly shown himself to me in this unfamiliar place to be familiar, to be family. His love and compassion is in the face of a high school friend, a British exchange student, a sister of a sister, and a newly engaged couple. I'm beginning to understand the transcending nature of the body of Christ, this family of believers. Something recognizable that can only be explained as the ruddy complexion of one who knows the One you know as Savior, Friend, Lover, Father. It is a giddy, heart squeezing feeling to be in the company of a person or people that know you as you, and at the same time to realize that it's not those people or anything they have to offer you, but the Holy Spirit, coaxing you to believe in the Truth that he knows you better than you know yourself. That he picks up on the details, in fact, he created you that way. Wonder of wonders, Miracle of miracles!

Enter September, stage left. She totes a late summer breeze on her arm and the turning of the leaves on her heels.

I truly can't wait for autumn-- the crisp fall breeze, the pumpkins, the smell of cinnamon, hot apple cider--life in the candlelit glow of brick reds, burnt oranges, tawny browns, gilded yellows. The world takes a deep breath and hunkers down with a cozy blanket and a good book. Call me Martha Stewart (without the criminal record), but I love fall almost as much as I love Christmas. Almost. In fact, one of the great things about fall is the ushering in of winter, the season that holds Christmas cheer and Yuletide greetings. But, I digress. My excitement is for fall, and all that she brings with her. And all that I hope she brings with her. Hope, hope, hope.

Mama and Dad Smith are coming this weekend, to see our apartment and get a taste of RTP life. There's talk of botanical gardens, the Morehead planetarium, and generally bashing around town seeing what there is to see. It will be as much of an adventure for me as it will be for them. Playing tourist in your own town is a great idea, methinks. Someday I will be able to be the part of tour guide, but for now it's Google and my GPS leading the way. As for good-eats, tonight's menu is leftover fajitas, with a side of Project Runway--tomorrow's welcome meal is pork chops and applesauce with rosemary sweet potatoes and Granna's canned green beans. As for dessert, I'm thinking chocolate. Let's be serious, I'm always thinking chocolate. Bon appetit!

Once upon a time, in a faraway land there lived a princess, chasing after a God who was chasing after her. And they lived hopefully ever after. Ever hopeful after that. Full of hope for a miracle. Wonder of wonders, Miracle of miracles. Is it here yet, Lord?

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure you weren't meant to be a writer? Each time I read your blog I am blow away by your insight and your writing style! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and dreams...I completely know how you're feeling in a new land clinging to the hope that only God can offer us!
    Miss you buddy...Meghann

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this, MaryGene. Thanks for sharing your heart. We can't wait to see you & Andrew tomorrow. Hugs, Mama

    ReplyDelete