12.02.2009

Hey, look over there! Some celestial beings are serenading that baby!

So, obviously, the previous post is my Christmas decorations. I'll have you know that I am seriously illiterate when it comes to uploading photographs on this blog. Some day, I'll be good at it. Just you wait, 'Enry 'Iggins, just you wait.

So, some little bits and pieces, snippets and side notes. The angel on top of our tree was made by the one and only Joe Smith, my tinkering, toy-making father. Santy Claus? I think so. It's modeled after an ol' fashioned weather vane. Love it!

Two things I love to use when decorating for Christmas: white lights and the extra limbs from the bottom of the tree. You can never go wrong with white Christmas lights. And they really make the Christmas aesthetic shiiiine through, (ya like that pun?). This year we got our tree from Rob and Ann, and we actually had enough limbs once we trimmed the bottom of the tree to use them to decorate. In previous years we've just picked up piles from the tree lot--they're going to get rid of 'em anyway and we just paid for a tree so why not? They are very versatile and can be used for mantels, flower arrangements, the creche, or--like I did--above the cabinets just to add a little Christmas height. Heh, heh. (Or should I say, "Ho, ho ho!")

Last weekend in Hendersonville we went to this great little shop called Honeysuckle Hollow and we found a few vintage Christmas cards, amongst the piles of odds and ends. I clothes pinned them to one of the PB ribbons from one of our wedding gifts. We obviously don't have a mantel, so we had to improvise with the stockings.

Let's talk flora and fauna. House plants are also an interesting way to add a little outside to the inside of your home, as well as adding a texture and color to a room that may be a little bit unexpected. Bonus, they also clean the air! Thank youuu, photosynthesis. The first and most obvious plants I used were poinsettias. Named for Joel Roberts Poinsett, the first US minister to Mexico, (he brought them back with him--who knew they were tropical plants?! CooOooooOol.), red poinsettias add that classic Christmas color to a grouping of plants. You'll notice I also used a little Norfolk Island Pine for a little something extra--it's a pine tree so it mirrors the Christmas tree look.

If everyone in America had red cars, we'd be a red car-nation. Carnations have gotten a bad wrap over the years for being old fashioned and cheap. And they are, let's be serious. But "old fashioned" can also be termed "retro" or "vintage" and cheap...well, these days cheap is good. Cheap is greeeaaat. Honestly, when I think of carnations I think of a 1950s prom with a powder blue suit and a white carnation for a boutonniere. But, if you can get over that image and get enough carnations--like a lot, at least a dozen, two dozen is better--they can add volume and texture to a table arrangement--and they're a little bit different. I'm not saying bring me carnations on my birthday or anniversary, I'm just sayin' quit hatin' on 'em! If you want to hate on something, hate on Baby's Breath. That stuff is whack. Plus, it's called Baby's Breath. Blech. I also stuck a few sweet grass roses in that bouquet for a little more fullness to the bunch.

Now, hold on to your hats, folks: I used sticks. I picked up sticks from outside while I was on a walk one day and used them just like a bunch of flowers. But they're deader. And greyer. And stick-ier. Buuuuut, I really like them. They're different. They add height and they don't die, cuz they're already dead! Hooray!

Sigh. I just love Christmas. My inspirations are always from the classic or traditional, nature, hearth and home, comfort, and of course, the birth of our Saviour. I'm not saying I'll never deviate, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I also love to do some things the same every year and some things differently every year. From mall displays to magazines, blogs to bookstores, inspiration is everywhere. Use whatever moves you!

A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices/for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!

No comments:

Post a Comment