12.20.2009

How do you pronounce coccyx?

I would post pictures, but I'm currently using Brother Barrett's laptop and will not be able to hook up my camera to his computer.

Andrew and I eked into Hendersonville last night around 7pm with no problems with snow or ice until we actually got into town. Apparently, the interstate is the first thing to be salted and plowed, so it stands to reason that they were all clear, full speed ahead--but when we turned into his parents' neighborhood, we were greeted by multiple snowy cars all parked at the entrance because their owners lived at the top of the mountain and would probably not be able to make it up to their homes (or back down) without incident. I'll definitely post pictures later, but if you can imagine, most everything was covered in a foot of snow. It was the most snow I've seen since the winter after Hurricane Hugo--and I was three, so it's been a while. Andrew, Barrett and Collin and I went up to Granna and Grandaddy's house and sledded (sled? sleed?) down the hill in the dark. I had to beg, borrow, and steal some snow gear, but all's well that ends well. I was warm and dry, both objectives clearly met.

It wasn't until this morning's sledding party at the golf course with Summer and Derek and Friends that I began to rethink this whole sledding thing. Now. I'm not normally a wimp--although I will admit that it's been a while since I faced the downward slope of a mountain with the intention of barreling down it on a thin sheet of plastic, be it snowboard or sled--but in my old age and my increased knowledge of the fragility of my own internal structures, I've gotten a little more cautious of which daredevil sports I partake in and in what way. Today, my coccyx kissed the asphalt golf cart path that incidentally bisected our sledding trail. Translation: as I was careening down the mountain on my sled, I hit a few bumps and on the landing of the largest one, my hiney slammed into the road, full throttle. "Owwie" doesn't quite cover it. Bummer that it was my first go. Kind of put a damper on the rest of the "party" but I had a few more runs. One included a train in which Andrew rolled over my head when we caught an edge and in the aftermath--if it wasn't for my mad round-house skillz--I almost got creamed by Barrett and Collin. Can't stop a movin' train. Yeah, after the tail-bone grand slam we moved down to an area that was not t-boned by the road. Someone always gets hurt, even minorly, and today my number was up. Ah, well. Ibuprofen and a doughnut cushion should do it for a week or so.

The snow is beautiful. In places that kids or dogs or snowplows haven't touched yet it just looks like pearly, sparkling fondant, spread cleanly and evenly over everything in sight. On the rooftops, it's so perfect it almost looks fake! With twinkling white lights on trees and bushes covered in snow, and the moon giving the luster of mid-day to objects below. It's some pretty awesome luster, I tell ya. Winter Wonderland. Truer words were never spoken. (Probably an overstatement, but just roll with me.)

That's all for now. I'll keep you posted. 10-4 good buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment